Sunday, January 4, 2009

Watch out for the brass...

This past Friday I got to do something I havent done before... Jerry took me to an indoor shooting range in Pflugerville.

I grew up around guns. My dad is a hunter and we always had guns around. I've hunted myself on occasion, but my first time shooting an antelope made me decide I really didn't want to hunt seriously. If you want company out there and help field dressing, I'm your girl. You fellers can do the shooting part as long as I get to help eat it!

Anyway, I've only shot rifles and revolvers, never an automatic. I've actually never been in a gun range before. Quite a bit different from riding 2 miles out of town in Wyoming and shooting the crap out of targets and cans.

Jerry has a LOT of guns... as do my dad and my brother-in-law. I got to shoot 2 9mm Sigs; different sizes but same caliber. I'm told I did pretty well for a first timer. I tried training range (3 yards) then the next 2 beyond that, which I think were 7 and 15ish? I only hit the target on the farthest one maybe 5 out of 13 rounds.

Interesting way to spend an afternoon. And then I got to learn how to clean them and take them apart. Made better by Troy on in the background and a really good bottle of wine. That whole scenario sounds kinda oxy-moronish, doesn't it??

1 comment:

  1. nice. women usually shoot better than guys on the first time, cause they usually pay attention more. ;) haha

    ReplyDelete