Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Day 4 - My Special Treat

I need coffee... Bob has to go back to CS early to lay Kimchi trail for Green dress run later in the day. We say our goodbye's and go find coffee.

Side note - While I'm dressing, I make the decision to rid myself of a toenail on my left foot. It was coming off anyway from the 50 miler and now it's swollen and pretty much pointing straight up and catching n everything. To do this requires some minor surgery and once i start jacking with it, it spews blood all over my foot. Gross. That done - I make my way to jt and katie looking for a band aid. They want to see and I manage to creep out the nurse. How does that work? Doesn't she see gross shit every day? hahahahahaaaaaaa

They tell me we have a special treat on the way home. We find coffee and hit the road. After about an hour, we drive up to this crazy lookin' stone castle thing that has a ginormous dragon head sticking out of the front of it. Meet Bishop Castle. This is a pretty current pic - it has both of the turret's finished and we could see people climbing around in them when we were there. A little more history here.

Freakin' cool! We all go climbing around and Katie and actually make up to one level under the Ball you see on the far turret. Far enough for me. I'm kinda freaking out climbing around in this thing. Weird. I do manage to go part way around on the outside walkway - which is iron mesh - and you can see straight through it. Totally giving me the heebie jeebies and I really have to struggle not to just freeze up and grab the rail and stand there like an idiot.

The guy is actually starting to dig a moat around the place. Apparently he has some ongoing issues with the local gov so there's big giant anti-"the Man" signs painted on boards sitting around every where. Well worth the drive to see.

We head off back to Manitou - got a hash to get to. Pass by the Biggest Rocking Chair in the World and The Gigantic Beetle - it'll change your life forever!

1 comment: